History of Land Development in Waltham, Mass.
The South Side →
In the deed from Boies to Jackson, there appears to be a small lot belonging to Samuel Wellington on the river just west of Newton Street. In later deeds (see MLR 255/420, in 1824), this small lot appears to be owned by Patrick Tracy Jackson, but by the 1870s (from maps) this corner of the river and Newton Street was also owned by the Newton Chymical Company. Although it could not be determined for certain, it is possible that this lot (of 9 acres) had also been acquired by Boies in 1795 from Jonas Dix and Abraham Sanderson (MLR 121/205), but that there may have been some question of its ownership.
In 1814, the BMC sold the eastern half of its lot on the south side of the river to Seth Ross (MLR 208/438, see also 255/419). The dividing line was somewhere around today's Cooper and Hall Streets. Later, in 1824, the eastern half was bought for the Newton Chymical Company (see below). The BMC retained the western half.
In 1818, Patrick Tracy Jackson bought an additional 5 acre lot of land south of the river for the BMC (MLR 226/82). This lot was located adjacent to the BMC's existing lot at its western end, approximately going along the river west from Today's Moody Street. The lot was sold at auction by David Townsend, Jr., as guardian for Abraham Pierce, "spendthrift", to cover Pierce's debts. Jackson, then, transferred the land to the BMC (MLR 227/204).
In 1854, The Boston Manufacturing Company sold Charles Hall, Dexter Patrick, and Eben D. Gordon land bounded by Moody Street on the west (for 354 feet), Pine Street on the north (for 700 feet), the Newton Chymical Company on the east (518 feet), and Stratton, Goodwin, Hall, and Hoar on the South – who's lots were on the north side of Taylor Street (for 650 feet) (MLR 683/378). Nothing was said about buildings. This encompassed today's Gordon and Hall Streets, including the house lots on the south side of Pine Street, both sides of Gordon Street, and the front parts of the lots on the east side of Hall Street. The house lot on the northwest corner of Hall and Taylor Streets can be traced back to the BMC and the Richard Fuller Farm (see MLR 912/472, 785/112, and 695/382), while the house lot on the southwest corner of Hall and Taylor Streets can be traced back to Bradshaw Stearns and the Captain Joseph Fuller Farm (see MLR 554/370, 373, and 375). It appears that one segment of the diagonal boundary between the colonial Richard Fuller and Captain Joseph Fuller farms went approximately through the intersection of today's Hall and Taylor Streets.
Note that the 700-foot measurement along Pine Street may accurately mark the boundary line between land originally owned by the Boston Manufacturing Company and the Newton Chymical Company at this point. This is just about today's Cooper Street, with the Boston Manufacturing Company to the west and the Newton Chymical Company to the east. The BMC kept most of it's remaining land on the north side of Pine Street between Moody Street and Cooper Street (i.e., opposite the mill) undeveloped through most of the 1800s.
In 1872, when the Newton Chymical Company left the chemical manufacturing business, it sold a lot on the northeast corner of Pine and Cooper Streets to the Boston Manufacturing Company (MLR 1241/1). The lot measured about 460 feet east from Cooper Street and about 180 feet north from Pine Street, and included a large tenement house, which the Newton Chymical Company had built on Pine street just east of Cooper Street for its employees, and which was shown on the 1854 map and labeled as the "Chemistry Block". The building was later owned and used by the Boston Manufacturing Company and then the Edison Electric Illuminating Company through the 1920s, but was demolished sometime before 1956.
In 1873, the chemical company also sold the Boston Manufacturing Company the entire block encompassed by Hall, Taylor, Lowell, and Cushing Streets, without any buildings mentioned in the deed (MLR 1259/413).